You need to fuel your fitness with proper nutrition to maximize your results! Whatever you eat before and after your workout is extremely important for your performance in activity.
- Eat a snack that has simple carbohydrates and protein 30 minutes before workout!
- If you don’t fuel properly, you may tire easily during workout and be tempted to call it quits.
- Carbohydrates Simple vs Complex – The main difference is how quickly they are absorbed to be used for energy.
- Simple Carbohydrates digest quickly and can be use for immediate energy – On the cellular level, simple carbs are converted to glucose transfer to muscles then give us energy during exercise. Examples – fruit, dried fruit, granola bar, greek yogurt
- Complex Carbohydrates digest slower. They are typically in cakes, white bread, and refined products. Healthier examples are whole wheat & starchy vegetables.
- Protein – During exercise, we create micro tears in our muscles. Protein will help repair & help muscle grow / tone. Examples – nuts, greek yogurt, turkey, egg
- Try to eat a snack with protein & healthy complex carbohydrates RIGHT after workout!
- Protein – FAST RECOVERY! Protein helps with soreness, repair, growth & tone!
- Healthy Carbohydrates – Replenish Glycogen Stores that have been depleted during exercise.
- Don’t overdue your snack or meal after a workout, snacks should be around 150 kcals and dinner 500 kcals. If you are exercising 90+ minutes a day, you will need more protein!
- Energy in vs energy out, if you are trying to lose weight you want to burn more calories than what you put in your body.
- Aim to drink ½ Body Weight in ounces in a typical day.
- Use color as an indicator – Lemonade or Clear is adequately hydrated…. If apple juice color, you are dehydrated!!!!! Drink UP!
- Before exercise, 2 cups 2-3 hours before and 2 cups before exercise.
- During & After, drink 1 cup every 15 minutes of intense exercise!!
- Use color as an indicator to your hydration level!
Pre Workout Food
- Snack: A smoothie with a banana, spinach, greek yogurt, and strawberries (drink half before the workout and half after)
- Snack: An apple or pear with 1 tablespoon of nut butter
- Snack: Greek yogurt with granola and blueberries
- Snack: Dried fruit and walnuts / almonds
- Snack: Rice cakes topped with 1 tablespoon of nut butter
- Meal: Oatmeal with honey, almond, cinnamon and fruit
- Meal: Pesto Chicken, brown rice, with roasted veggies
Post Workout Food
- Snack: Chocolate milk
- Snack: Whole wheat toast with almond butter and banana
- Snack: Hardboiled eggs with a slice of whole wheat toast
- Meal: Veggie omelet with avocado
- Meal: Lemon Seasoned Salmon with a baked sweet potato and sautéed spinach